Joe McCusker's list of Air Force Bases

I'm very pleased to post this list.  Joe has spent much time over the past several years researching this information.   Credit for this work goes to Joe, but any HTML conversion errors are mine alone.   -  Scott  


"Absence makes the heart grow fonder,
whatever became of the wild blue yonder?"

sung by Rod Taylor in A Gathering of Eagles

This is an annotated list of Air Force installations in the United States and elsewhere that were closed or redesignated  between 1948--when the Air Force Base (AFB) designation first came into use--and August 1, 2001.  It is supposed that the gentle reader bears a warmth for the subject, and a fondness for the old Air Force.

The tremendous number of other places throughout the world from where the USAF has operated since 1948 are beyond the scope of this project.  I have bits of information on many of them, at least enough to confirm their existence, and welcome your queries.

I can't help you find someone who may have been stationed at one of these places.  But the National Contact Center at the General Services Administration's Federal Citizen Information Center offers good advice at
http://www.pueblo.gsa.gov/call/locating_individuals.htm

Copyright 2003, 2004 Joseph McCusker

Thanks to Scott Murdock and to Mark Morgan and Bernard Shearon, Jr.

Compiled by Joseph McCusker
New York City
Updated and revised, August 2001

Addendum, February 2004
Updated information on Brooks AFB, Kalkaska AFB, and Ramey AFB, 23 May 2004
Updated information on Hancock Field, 26 July 2004

Comments and corrections welcome.  E-Mail Joe McCusker


Contents

1. Former Air Force bases in the US, Guam and Puerto Rico 
2. USAF "fields"
3. A word about Army air fields, air fields and fields
4. Contractor operated USAF air bases
5. USAF forts and other interesting places
6. Former USAF names of still-open Air Force bases
7. Overseas Air Force bases
8. Auxiliary Air Force bases
9. Key to abbreviations and acronyms


1. Former Air Force bases in the US, Guam and Puerto Rico

Some of these bases were redesignated as minor installations; some became civil airports, with some hosting Air National Guard and Air Force Reserve units; a few are operated by the Air National Guard or Air Force Reserve; and some went to the Army or Navy.  And some are just abandoned.

Alexandria AFB, Alexandria, La. (renamed England AFB)
Amarillo AFB, Amarillo, Tex. (closed 1 Jan 1969)
Amchitka AFB, Amchitka Island, Alaska (Amchitka AAB redesignated Amchitka AFB, 13 Jan 48.)
Anniston AFB, Eastaboga, Ala. (reported excess in 1952)

Ardmore AFB, Ardmore, Okla. (closed 1959)
Atterbury AFB, Columbus, Ind. (Atterbury AAF redesignated Atterbury AFB, 13 Jan 48; redesignated Bakalar AFB, 1 Nov 54)
Avon Park AFB, Avon Park, Fla.  (Avon Park AAF redesignated Avon Park AFB, 13 Jan 48;  part merged with Avon Park AF Range in 1956.)

Bakalar AFB, Columbus, Ind. (closed 1970, ex-Atterbury AFB)
Barking Sands AFB, Kauai, Hawaii (renamed Bonham AFB, 8 May 1953)
Bellows AFB, Oahu, Hawaii (redesignated Bellows AFS in 1958)
Benjamin Harrison AFB, Indianapolis, Ind. (Headquarters Tenth Air Force. Ex-Ft. Benjamin Harrison, returned to Army in 1950, closed September 1995) 
Bergstrom AFB, Austin, Tex. (Closed 1993, part to AFRes. Bergstrom ARS closed September 1996)
Big Delta AFB, Big Delta, Alaska (to Army 1948)
Big Spring AFB, Big Spring, Tex. (renamed Webb AFB, 1952)
Biggs AFB, El Paso, Tex.   (Inactivated 1966; to Army, 1973)
Blytheville AFB, Blytheville, Ark. (redesignated Eaker AFB)
Bonham AFB, Kauai, Hawaii (ex-Barking Sands AFB, redesignated Bonham AFS, then to Navy in 1964)
Brookley AFB, Mobile, Ala. (closed 1969)

Brooks AFB, San Antonio, Tex.  The Brooks AFB property was conveyed by deed to the Brooks Development Authority on July 22, 2002, with the Air Force remaining as the primary tenant at Brooks City-Base, "a technology and business center."  Brooks AFB signage and the post office name of the base changed to Brooks City-Base on July 22.  Brooks City-Base remains an active installation with a growing mission but for the purpose of this study it is no longer an Air Force Base (AFB).
Bryan AFB, Bryan (College Station), Tex. (closed 1958)
Buckingham AFB, Ft. Myers, Fla. (designated 1955, abandoned while under construction on site of WW II-era Buckingham Field)
Bunker Hill AFB, Peru, Ind. (redesignated Grissom AFB)

Campbell AFB, Ft. Campbell, Ky. (to Army 1959)
Camp Hood AFB, Killeen, Tex. (redesignated Gray AFB, 1949)
Camp Stewart AFB, Hinesville, Ga. (unk., ex-Stewart AFB)
Cape AFB, Umnak Isl., Alaska (inactivated 1950, transferred to CAA in 1957)
Carswell AFB, Ft. Worth, Tex. (Closed 1993, ex-Griffiss AFB. to AFRes, then to Navy.  Became Carswell ARS September 30, 1993, and NAS Fort Worth Joint Reserve Base (Carswell Field) on September 30, 1994.)
Casper AFB, Casper, Wyo. (transferred to GSA 1952)
Castle AFB, Merced, Calif. (closed 1995)
Chanute AFB, Rantoul, Ill. (closed 1993)
Chatham AFB, Savannah, Ga. (Closed 1950.  The City of Savannah traded Hunter Field, then a municipal airport, for the smaller Chatham AFB to keep SAC and the USAF in Savannah.)
Chennault AFB, Lake Charles, La. (closed 1963, ex-Lake Charles AFB)
Cheyenne Mountain AFB, Colorado Springs, Colo. (Redesignated Cheyenne Mountain AS in 1994 and Cheyenne Mountain AFS, 4 February 2000; ex-Cheyenne Mountain Complex.)
Clinton County AFB, Wilmington, Ohio (closed 1971)
Clinton-Sherman AFB, Clinton, Okla. (closed 1970)
Congaree AFB, Congaree, S.C. (Congaree AB transferred from Navy to USAF and redesignated Congaree AFB, 1955; Congaree ANGB, 1960;  McEntire ANGB, 1961)
Connally AFB, Waco, Tex. (ex-Waco AFB, renamed James Connally AFB)
Craig AFB, Selma, Ala. (closed 1977)

Davis AFB, Adak, Alaska (To Navy in 1950.  NAS Adak, later NAF Adak, closed 1998)
Dillingham AFB, Oahu, Hawaii (to Army as Dillingham Military Reservation in 1975; Dillingham Airfield, located on Dillingham Military Reservation, operates as civil airport under agreement between the Army and the State of Hawaii)
Dobbins AFB, Marietta, Ga. (To AFRes in 1968, later became Dobbins ARB. Ex-Marietta AFB)
Donaldson AFB, Greenville, S.C. (closed 1964)
Dow AFB, Bangor, Me. (Closed 1968, part to ANG. Also Regular Air Force 776th Radar Squadron and Detachment 1, 5th Weather Wing)

Eaker AFB, Blytheville, Ark. (Closed 1992, ex-Blytheville AFB)
Edward Gary AFB, San Marcos, TX (to Army 1956; ex-San Marcos AFB, ex-Gary AFB)
Ellington AFB, Houston, TX (closed 1978, part to ANG)
England AFB, Alexandria, La. (closed 1992, ex-Alexandria AFB)
Ent AFB, Colorado Springs, Colo. (Closed 1976. Was Colorado Springs Tent Camp from 1943 to 1949.  Renamed Ent AFB in 1949, and Ent Annex, 1975.)
Ephrata AFB, Ephrata, Wash. (to U.S. Army, 1950 although reported excess by USAF in 1952)
Ethan Allen AFB, Burlington, Vt. (Closed 1960, ex-Ft. Ethan Allen. Administrative base for 37th FIS at Burlington IAP.)

Forbes AFB, Topeka, Kans. (Closed 1973, part to ANG. Ex-Topeka AFB)
Ft. Worth AFB, Ft. Worth, Tex.  (redesignated Griffiss AFB, 1948, Carswell AFB, 1948)
Foster AFB, Victoria, Tex. (closed 1958)

Galena AFB, Alaska (1948; later Galena Airport)
Gary AFB, San Marcos, Tex. (Ex-San Marcos AFB, renamed Edward Gary AFB in 1955.)
George AFB, Victorville, Calif. (closed 1992, ex-Victorville AFB)
George Wright AFB, Spokane, Wash. (closed 1954, ex-Ft. George Wright)
Glasgow AFB, Glasgow, Mt. (B-52s, KC-135s and F-101s, 1957-68. Reactivated 1972-76, as SAC dispersal base, and as an Army Safeguard ABM depot supporting construction of a second ABM complex northwest of Malmstrom AFB, which was not completed.)
Godman AFB, Louisville, Ky. (to Army 1954)
Grandview AFB, Kansas City, Mo.(ex-Grandview Airport, renamed Richards-Gebaur AFB)
Gray AFB, Killeen, Tex. (to Army in 1963)   
Greenville AFB, Greenville, Miss. (closed 1965)
Greenville AFB, Greenville, S.C. (renamed Donaldson AFB)
Grenier AFB, Manchester, N.H.   (closed 1949, reopened 1951, redesignated Grenier Field 1959, redesignated Grenier AFS 1966.  New Boston AFS occupies a part of  the former Grenier bombing range, and preserves almost all of the land.)
Griffiss AFB, Ft. Worth, Tex. (renamed Carswell AFB)
Griffiss AFB, N.Y. (Closed 1995, ex-Rome AFB. Rome Laboratory and the Northeast Air Defense Sector and the 485th Electronic Installation Group remained.  The 485th EI Group inactivated December 1995; NEAD was taken over by the NYANG.  A NYANG contractor maintained the airfield for use by the 10th Mountain Division at Ft. Drum until Wheeler-Sack AAF was rebuilt to accept large transport airplanes.   NYANG operation of the airfield ended in September 1998.)  
Grissom AFB, Peru, Ind. (closed 1994, to AFRes)
Gunter AFB, Montgomery, Ala. (Redesignated Gunter AFS in 1973; Gunter AFB again, in 1988 or 89; then Maxwell AFB, Gunter Annex, in 1992.)

Hamilton AFB, Novato, Calif. (Closed 1976, airfield to Army as Hamilton AAF, housing to Navy; both closed in mid-1990s; USCG housing and west coast environmental disaster strike force.)
Harlingen AFB, Harlingen, Tex. (closed 1962)
Harmon AFB, Guam (closed 1949; housing to Andersen AFB)
Hobbs AFB, Hobbs, N.M. (closed, probably late 1951)
Homestead AFB, Homestead, Fla. (destroyed by Hurricane Andrew in   1992, reopened 1994 as Homestead ARB)
Hot Springs ANG Memorial AFB, Hot Springs, Ark.
Hunter AFB, Savannah, Ga. (to Army 1967, became Hunter AAF)

Indian Springs AFB, Indian Springs, Nev.  (redesignated Indian Springs AF Aux Field, 1964;
ex-Indian Springs AP.)

James Connally AFB, Waco, Tex. (1968, ex-Waco AFB, Connally AFB)
Johnston Atoll AFB, Johnston Atoll (ex-Johnston Island AFB; property accountability remained with the Air Force while Johnston Atoll was operated by the Department of Energy for chemical weapons destruction; with the end of that mission, USAF control resumed October 1, 1999, as Johnston Atoll Airfield, operated by Det. 1, 15th Air Base Wing, Hickam AFB)
Johnston Island AFB, Johnston Atoll (renamed Johnston Atoll AFB)

Kalkaska AFB, vicinity Kalkaska, Mich.  An ADC fighter-interceptor base planned in 1954 to be built at Traverse City, Mich.  Congressional politics intervened and the site was changed to a location near Cadillac.  It was changed again to a site near Kalkaska where construction was started.  This site was designated Kalkaska AFB in December 1955.  A few months later the site was changed again, to a location in Manistee County.  The project was eventually abandoned.
Kelly AFB, San Antonio, Tex.  (closed July 13, 2001, tenants and runway to Lackland AFB as Kelly Field Annex)
Kearney AFB, Kearney, Neb. (closed 1949)
Kincheloe AFB, Kinross, Mich. (closed 1977, ex-Kinross AFB)
Kinross AFB, Kinross, Mich. (renamed Kincheloe AFB)
K.I. Sawyer AFB, Mich. (closed 1995, ex-K.I. Sawyer Airport)

Ladd AFB, Fairbanks, Alaska (To Army January 1, 1961. Became  Ft. Wainwright)
Lake Charles AFB, Lake Charles, La. (renamed Chennault AFB)
Laredo AFB, Laredo, Tex. (closed 1973)
Larson AFB, Moses Lake, Wash. (closed 1966, ex-Moses Lake AFB)
Laurinburg-Maxton AFB, Maxton, N.C. (designated 1954; redesignated Laurinburg-Maxton Vehicle Storage Annex, 1956)
Lawson AFB, Columbus, Ga. (to Army 1954)
Limestone AFB, Limestone, Me. (renamed Loring AFB)
Lincoln AFB, Lincoln, Neb. (closed 1966)
Lockbourne AFB, Columbus, Ohio  (renamed Rickenbacker AFB)
Loring AFB, Limestone, Me. (closed 1994, ex-Limestone AFB)
Lowry AFB, Denver Colo. (Closed 1994. The Air Force Reserve Personnel Center, the Defense Finance and Accounting Service and the 1001st Space Systems Squadron {later Det 1, Space Systems Support Group} remained.  Det 1, SSSG, closed in 1998 in compliance with BRAC 95.  Remaining facilities may have been briefly designated Lowry AS and Lowry Support Center.)
Lubbock AFB, Lubbock, Tex. (redesignated Reese AFB, 1949)

March AFB, Riverside, Calif. (to AFRes in March 1996, March ARB)
Marietta AFB, Marietta, Ga. (renamed Dobbins AFB)
Marks AFB, Nome, Alaska (Closed 1950. Used as a cold weather survival school and a fighter-interceptor forward base.  Marks was too close to the USSR to operate defending fighter-interceptors, so they were pulled back to Galena Airport.   Marks AFB shared the airfield with Nome Airport.  Although Marks AFB closed in 1950, an air base squadron was at Nome Airport until December 1956.)
Marshall AFB, Ft. Riley, Kans. (unk., to Army)
Mather AFB, Sacramento, Calif. (closed 1993)
McClellan AFB, Sacramento, Calif.  (closed July 13, 2001)
McCoy AFB, Orlando, Fla. (Closed 1974, ex-Pinecastle AFB, part to USN as Naval Training Center as McCoy Annex.  See also Orlando AFB)
Mitchel AFB, Hempstead, N.Y. (Closed 1961, Navy operated housing, and BX, DCA commissary since then, for a few years in the early 1990s as Mitchel Annex, Naval Station New York.   Often misspelled "Mitchell", Mitchel Field/AFB is named after former New York City mayor, John P. Mitchel, who upon leaving office became a fighter pilot. He died in an accident while flying a Thomas-Morse S-4C Scout at Gerstner Field, La., in July 1918.)
Moses Lake AFB, Moses Lake, Wash. (renamed Larson AFB, 1950)
Myrtle Beach AFB, Myrtle Beach, S.C. (closed 1993)

Naknek AFB, Naknek, Alaska 1948; later King Salmon Airport)
Nenana AFB, Nenana, Alaska (Nenana Airfield redesignated Nenana AFB, 26 Mar 1948. Abandoned while under construction. Also known as Nenana Area and Nenana Project.  Later Clear AF Auxiliary Field.  Clear AFS is on part of the site.  Work began in 1947 on a SAC B-36 base along the Nenana River, about 26 miles south of Nenana and about fifty miles south of Fairbanks.  A 14,500-foot runway was laid out.  But, while early construction was underway, a series of earthquakes revealed a fault beneath the runway and the project was cancelled.  Eielson AFB was eventually used by SAC instead.
Newark AFB, Heath, Ohio (Aerospace Guidance and Metrology Center, closed 1996; ex-Heath Maintenance Annex, ex-Newark AFS; Det. 1, Warner Air Logistics Center, later AFMETCAL Det. 1, remained at the privatized Central Ohio Aerospace and Technology Center)
Newcastle AFB, Delaware (redesignated Newcastle County AP, 1951)
Norton AFB, San Bernardino, Calif. (closed 1994, ex-San Bernardino AFB. Det. 10, Ballistic Missile Office, remained until September 1995)

Olmsted AFB, Harrisburg, Pa. (1968)
Onizuka AFB, Sunnyvale, Calif. (redesignated Onizuka AS, January 24, 1994; Onizuka AFS, February 4, 2000; Ex-Sunnyvale AFS, Onizuka AFS.)
Orlando AFB, Orlando, Fla. (1967, part to USN as Naval Training Center. NTC closed with basic training ending in 1994, Recruit Training Center Orlando closed in March 1995 and the final Naval Nuclear Power Training Command class graduated in December 1998.  Base closure was in April 1999.)
Oscoda AFB, Oscoda, Mich. (renamed Wurtsmith AFB)
Otis AFB, Falmouth, Mass.   (closed 1973, part to ANG and later became Otis ANGB. Part to CGAS Cape Cod and to Cape Cod AFS.  Base housing to CGAS which maintains it for all services.
Oxnard AFB, Camarillo, Calif. (closed 1969)

Paine AFB, Everett, Wash.  (WWII field reactivated by ADC ad Paine Field, April 1951.  Redesignated Paine AFB November 1951.  Redesignated Paine Field in 1959 with USAF fighter-interceptor operations continuing until 1968. USAF facilities at Paine Field were transferred to ANG as Paine Field ANG Station in 1972.)
Palm Beach AFB, West Palm Beach, Fla. (closed 1962; WW II-era Morrison Field)
Parks AFB, Pleasanton, Calif. (Closed 1959, part to National Guard; AF Comm Station.)
Pease AFB, Portsmouth, N.H. (Closed 1991, part to ANG. Ex-Portsmouth AFB)
Perrin AFB, Sherman, Tex. (closed 1971)
Pinecastle AFB, Orlando, Fla. (renamed McCoy AFB)
Plattsburgh AFB, N.Y. (closed 1995)
Pocatello AFB, Pocatello, Id. (c.1948.)
Point Spencer AFB, Seward, Alaska  (1948)
Portsmouth AFB, Portsmouth, N.H. (renamed Pease AFB)
Presque Isle AFB, Presque Isle, Me. (Closed 1961. ADC fighter-interceptor base taken over by SAC for SNARK missiles.  In June 1961, four months after becoming operational, the 702nd Strategic Missile Wing inactivated and the base soon closed.   Base housing was retained by Loring AFB.)
Pyote AFB, Pyote, Tex. (San Antonio Air Materiel Area storage site; closed 1954, known as "Rattlesnake Air Base".)

Ramey AFB, Aguadilla, P.R.  Ramey AFB closed on June 30, 1971.  A Navy SOSUS station, established at Ramey AFB in 1954, remained and the base host became Naval Station Roosevelt Roads West Annex.  The Coast Guard air station at San Juan moved there later in 1971 and in 1976 the base host became CGAS Borinquen on July 1.  The 141st Air Control Sq (PRANG) and OL A, 140th Air Defense Sq (PRANG) are also located there.  A USAF solar observatory, the Ramey Air Force Solar Observatory Research Site, was nearby until 2003.
Reese AFB, Lubbock, Tex. (1997; ex-Lubbock AFB)
Richard Bong AFB, Kenosha County, Wisc., about 35 miles southwest of Milwaukee (designated 1955, abandoned while under construction. 1959; excess 1960) Like many new northern tier Air Force bases in the 1950s, Richard Bong AFB was going to be an ADC fighter-interceptor base but was taken over by SAC as it sought to disperse the bomber force. SAC assumed "jurisdiction, control and accountability" of Bong from ADC on June 5, 1957, assigning it to the Eighth Air Force, and perhaps intending to base B-58s there. SAC's 4040th Air Base Squadron was assigned as the base housekeeping unit on August 1, 1958.  The base and the squadron were transferred to Second Air Force on January 1, 1959.  Construction was suddenly ordered stopped on October 2, 1959, because, as Secretary of the Air Force James H. Douglas told the people of Racine, "Finally we realized that by 1961-62 when Bong would be ready, we would have several other medium bomber bases empty of squadrons and we really don't need Bong." (New York Times, November 5, 1959, "House Unit Visits Abandoned Base".)  See Note 2 in Section 6.
Richards Gebaur AFB, Kansas City, Mo. (Closed 1980, part to AFRes. Richards-Gebaur ARS closed 1994. Ex-Grandview AFB.  Marine Corps Support Activity Kansas City and other Marine Corps facilities are located at Richards-Gebaur Memorial Airport.  The airfield is closed and the Kansas City Southern Railroad plans to establish a rail-highway transfer facility there.)
Rickenbacker AFB, Columbus, Ohio (Closed 1980, part to ANG, Rickenbacker ANGB. Ex-Lockbourne AFB.)
Rome AFB, N.Y. (redesignated Griffiss AFB, 1948)

Sampson AFB, Geneva, N.Y. (closed 1958, part to Seneca Army Depot which closed in July 2001.)
San Bernardino AFB, San Bernardino, Calif. (renamed Norton AFB, 1950)
San Marcos AFB, San Marcos, Tex. (renamed Gary AFB, later Edward Gary AFB)
Schilling AFB, Salina, Kans. (closed 1967, ex-Smoky Hill AFB)
Selfridge AFB, Detroit, Mich. (Closed 1971, became Selfridge ANGB, CGAS Detroit, NAF Detroit.  NAF Detroit closed in 1994.)
Sewart AFB, Smyrna, Tenn. (closed 1970, ex-Smyrna AFB)
Shemya AFB, Shemya Island, Alaska (Designated Shemya AFB in 1948; redesignated Shemya Airport 1954; later redesignated Shemya Army Air Base; redesignated Shemya AFS 1959; redesignated Shemya AFB 1968; redesignated Eareckson AFS in 1993, Eareckson AS in 1994.)
Sherman AFB, Leavenworth, Kans. (to Army, 1953)
Slocum AFB, Davids Island, New Rochelle, N.Y. (Headquarters First Air Force was at Ft. Slocum from 1946 until 1949.  Ft. Slocum, on an island near New York City and accessible only by ferry boat, was redesignated Slocum AFB in June 1949. Headquarters First Air Force moved to Mitchel AFB four months later.  The base was then looked after by the 166-person 2226th Standby Base Squadron, and later by a much smaller fire guard, until June 30, 1950, when the New York District Engineer assumed custody of the property and Slocum AFB ceased to exist.  Ft. Slocum was reactivated as an Army post late in 1950, and closed in 1965.  Twice swept by fires, the island--which is owned by the City of New Rochelle--has been in ruins for many years.)
Smoky Hill AFB, Salina, Kans. (renamed Schilling AFB)
Smyrna AFB, Smyrna, Tenn. (renamed Sewart AFB)
Standiford AFB, Ky. (Redesignated Standiford Field 1951)
Stead AFB, Reno, Nev.
Stewart AFB, Ga. (redesignated Camp Stewart AFB)
Stewart AFB, Newburgh, N.Y.  (1970, part to Army, later part to ANG, C-5s with USMCR KC-130 tenant.  Ex-Stewart Field.)
Suffolk County AFB, Westhampton Beach, N.Y. (closed 1969, part to ANG rescue wing)

Thornbrough AFB, Cold Bay, Alaska (closed 1953) (Not a typo, it is Thornbrough not Thornborough.)
Tonopah AFB, Tonopah, Nev. (c.1948, not the same place as Tonopah Test Range Airfield.)
Topeka AFB, Topeka, Kans. (renamed Forbes AFB)
Turner AFB, Albany, Ga. (To Navy in 1967, became NAS Albany which closed in 1974.)

Victorville AFB, Victorville, Calif. (renamed George AFB)
Vincent AFB, Yuma, Ariz. (To USMC in 1960, became MCAS Yuma. Ex-Yuma Cty MAP.)

Waco AFB, Waco, Tex. (renamed Connally AFB, James Connally AFB)
Wake Island AFB (ex-Wake Island AFS; redesignated Wake Island Airfield; to Army 1993 as Wake Island Missile Launch Facility operated under a caretaker permit from the Air Force and administered by the U.S. Army Strategic and Missile Defense Command, Huntsville, Ala.; property accountability remained with the Air Force and was transferred from the 15th ABW, Hickam AFB, to the 36th Air Base Wing, Andersen AFB, on Oct. 1, 2000; the AF resumes operational control of Wake Island in 2002 and is seeking $50 million dollars for airfield and other infrastructure repair)
Walker AFB, Roswell, N.M. (closed 1967; Roswell AAF redesignated Walker AFB 13 Jan 1948)
Walseth AFB, Seward, Alaska (1948)
Webb AFB, Big Spring, Tex. (closed 1977, ex-Big Spring AFB)
Wendover AFB, Wendover, Ut. (redesignated Wendover AF Auxiliary Field 1958)
Westover AFB, Chicopee, Mass. (to AFRes, 1974;  later became Westover ARB)
Wheeler AFB, Oahu, Hawaii (to Army 1993; Wheeler AAF)
Williams AFB, Chandler, Ariz. (closed 1993, the Armstrong Laboratory Aircrew Research Training Facility remains at Williams Gateway Airport.)
Wolters AFB, Mineral Wells, Tex. (Returned to Army 1956.  Wolters AFB was a base for Aviation Engineers.)
Wurtsmith AFB, Oscoda, Mich. (closed 1993, ex-Oscoda AFB)

Some of these bases require an explanation. 

Most of the little-known Air Force base designations are from the original orders giving them the AFB designation which were obtained by Scott Murdock from the Air University Library, Authority Section.  The closure date in these cases usually represents redesignation or the disposal of unused property, since in many cases, the base never opened. 

The first redesignations of USAF installations to "Air Force Base" were  in January and March 1948. The orders were rescinded and replaced several times leaving a number of the newly designated AFBs with new names or, more often, new designations, usually Air Force auxiliary field.  Many of the subsequent redesignations, mostly to "Air Force auxiliary field" occurred before the publication of  "US Air Force Installations Directory, Continental United States" (Washington, D.C.: Headquarters, U.S. Air Force, 1 April 1948).  Issued quarterly, this was the first edition of the USAF station list to show Air Force bases (AFB, as opposed to AAF or "field").

Two bases on this list--Datelan AFB, Ariz., and Gila Bend AFB, Ariz.--were found in the "History of the Flying Division, Air Training Command" (Randolph Field: Historical Section, Flying Division, Air Training Command) covering the four quarters of 1948 and part of 1949.  Datelan and Gila Bend were carried as Air Force auxiliary fields in the April 1, 1948, USAF station list. But in these command histories, while there were many references to other Air Force auxiliary fields, both Datelan and Gila Bend were shown as Air Force bases.


2. USAF "fields"

Most USAF "fields" were active from the early 1950s until the early 1980s, with some closures as early as 1960. They mostly housed fighter-interceptor squadrons/groups, usually with more than 1000 people assigned.  In addition, fields were sometimes the location of air division headquarters, air defense sectors, SAGE centers, and radar squadrons.  The military name of these sites was often, but not always, the same as the name of the civil airports where they were located.

Two examples:

The announcement that the Air Force would build an air base at McGhee-Tyson Airport was made on January 26, 1951. Fighter-interceptors based there would defend the nuclear facilities at Oak Ridge, the Alcoa aluminum plant, and the rest of the Tennessee Valley, including the vital TVA dams. Initial construction was estimated at $5.5 million.

The base officially opened on August 9, 1952 but air defense alert operations began there much sooner. The Nashville-based 105th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron, TANG, was activated on March 1, 1951 and assigned to air defense from McGhee-Tyson. Possibly it remained at Nashville, using McGhee Tyson as an alert site, until permanent relocation in mid-1952. The squadron operated F-47s, F-51s and, for several months, 4 F-82s. It was released from federal service on 1 Dec 1952, returning to Nashville.

Between 1200 and 1400 men--with a $1.5 million annual payroll--were assigned to the base. The host unit was the 516th Air Defense Group, which was there from 16 February 53-18 August 1955. With it were the 516th Air Base Squadron, 516th Materiel Squadron, and the 516th Infirmary. The tactical unit was the 469th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron, F-86A. Replacement of the F-86A day fighters with F-86D all-weather interceptors began February 14, 1954 and was completed by spring. The 460th FIS, also with F-86Ds, joined the group on March 18, 1954. ("Air Base Born, Dies, Revives in Decade." Marysville-Alcoa Times.  February 29, 1960.)

The 516th Air Defense Group was replaced by the 355th Fighter Group (Air Defense) on 18 Aug 1955. The 460th FIS moved to Portland IAP on 18 August replaced by the 354th FIS, F-86.

On August 29, 1957 the Air Force announced that the base--by then worth $7.75 million--would close. About 4,000 Air Force people left the area, taking with them $25.5 million in equipment from the base. Regular Air Force operations at McGhee Tyson Airport ended on January 8, 1958. The 354th FIS inactivated in that date. The 355th FG and the 469th FIS probably inactivated on that date also.

The Regular Air Force facilities at Youngstown MAP were dedicated on August 10, 1952. The housekeeping unit of the $10 million air defense base was the 88th Air Base Squadron. Air Force Times reported that the base would protect the "vital industrial Mahoning Valley." The story added that General Benjamin Chidlaw, ADC Commander, told a banquet audience the evening before that, "the district was selected for a fighter base for economic and strategic reason, and not because it might be a target."

The federalized 166th FIS, OANG, moved its F-84Cs from Lockbourne AFB to Youngstown in July 1952. It remained there until November 1, 1952, when it returned to state control, coincident with the activation the 86th FIS at Youngstown. The 86th FIS operated F-86s until 1957 and then F-102s until it inactivated and the base closed in 1960. The 86th FIS was part of the 79th FG, also at Youngstown, from 1955 to 1960.

The March 1960 inactivation of the squadron and group, and the end of regular Air Force fighter-interceptor operations at Youngstown MAP, were announced on October 28, 1959.

Byrd Field, Richmond, Va.
Burlington AP, Burlington, Vt. (supported by Ethan Allen AFB) Duluth IAP, Minn. (Air division headquarters; air defense sector; SAGE combat and direction center; fighter-interceptors; BOMARC missiles.)
Fairfax Field, Kans. (The 326th FIS activated here in December 1953 and moved to Grandview AFB three months later.)
Galena AP, Alaska (briefly Galena AFB in 1948; maintained by a private contractor as a weather/emergency diversion airfield since Regular Air Force fighter-interceptor alert operations ended in 1993.)
Geiger Field, Wash.  (Redesignated Spokane IAP c. Aug 1960; Regular Air Force fighter-interceptor operations ended July 1963.)
Greater Pittsburgh AP, Coraopolis, Pa.
Grenier Field, Manchester, N.H. (Ex-Grenier AFB)
Hancock Field, N.Y. (Ex-Syracuse AFS. Air division headquarters and combined SAGE combat center and direction center; no Regular Air Force fighter-interceptor squadron.  Operations ended in the fall of 1983 and the base was closed in 1984 with the housing transferred to Griffiss AFB.)
King Salmon AP, Alaska (Briefly Naknek AFB in 1948; standby base maintained by the ANG since regular Air Force fighter-interceptor alert operations ended in 1994.)
Kingsley Field, Klamath Falls, Ore. (Formerly Klamath Falls MAP)
Klamath Falls MAP, Ore. (Redesignated Kingsley Field following renaming of airport by civil authorities)
Long Beach MAP, Calif. (The 354th FIS activated here in 1952 and soon moved to Oxnard AFB.)
McGhee-Tyson MAP, Tenn.
Minneapolis-St. Paul IAP, Minn.
Newcastle County AP, Wilmington, Del.
Niagara Falls MAP, N.Y. (fighter-interceptor squadron/group until 1960, then BOMARC missiles and a Regular Air Force FIS detachment)
O'Hare IAP, Ill.  
Paine Field, Wash. (ex-Paine AFB)

Peterson Field, Colo. (redesignated Peterson AFB 1975 or 76.)
Portland IAP, Ore.
Sioux City MAP, Iowa
Standiford Field, Ky.

Stewart Field, NY. (redesignated Stewart AFB c. early 1950s)
Truax Field, Wisc.
Washington National Airport [1254th Air Transport Group (Special Mission)]
Willow Run AP, Mich. (later  renamed Willow Run AFS. Air division headquarters, no fighter-interceptor squadron.)
Youngstown MAP, Ohio
Yuma County Municipal Airport, Ariz. (ADC fighter-interceptor air-to-air gunnery and rocketry training center. Redesignated Vincent AFB.)

In addition to the USAF fields listed, during the Korean War federalized Air National Guard units sometimes operated from their home fields, often eventually with many Regular AF personnel assigned.

Also, during the 1960s, ADC dispersed its fighter-interceptors by placing alert detachments at civil airports, including Niagara Falls, N.Y., Byrd Field, Richmond, Va.; Atlantic City, N.J; Billings, Mont.; Walla Walla, Wash.; and New Hanover County Airport, N.C. 

SAC used Air Force bases and civil airports as dispersal sites for B-47’s. Some of the civil airports were Logan Airport, Boston, Mass.; Atlantic City Airport, N.J.; Detroit-Wayne County Airport, Mich.; Lambert Field, St. Louis, Mo.; and O’Hare Field, Chicago, Ill.  These and others were probably used during the Cuban Missile Crisis.

A later dispersal program included Det. 2, 2nd Bomb Wing (Barksdale AFB) at Amarillo Air Terminal (formerly Amarillo AFB) and Det. 3, at Clinton-Sherman Industrial Air Park (formerly Clinton-Sherman AFB). Both dets were active from 1969 or the early 1970s until March 30, 1975 when they were inactivated.

SAC also used Air Force bases for dispersal. Det 1, 456th Bombardment Wing (Beale AFB) was at Hill AFB, activated January 1, 1973, and discontinued July 1, 1975. A $2 million dollar alert facility large enough to accommodate seven aircraft was constructed. The first of four B-52s assigned there arrived on December 28, 1973.

Another, Det. 1, 42nd Bomb Wing (Loring AFB), January 1, 1970-early 1975, was at McGuire AFB, possibly only with KC-135s.


3. A word about Army air fields, air fields and fields

Generally, Army Air Forces installations were named two ways: when named to honor individuals they were designated "fields" and when named geographically, they became "Army air fields."  (The designation Army air base was also used.)

Between the time the Air Force was established on September 18, 1947, and the first designation of Air Force bases on January 13, 1948, some Army air fields may have dropped the word "Army".

A January 1, 1948, Air Training Command station list includes Las Vegas Air Field; San Marcos Air Field; Datelan Air Field; and Gila Bend Air Field.   "Air Force Bases, Vol. I: Active Air Force Bases Within the United States of America on 1 January 1974" by Robert Mueller (Maxwell AFB: Albert F. Simpson Historical Research Center, 1982), and a later edition, show the November 28, 1947, to January 13, 1948, name of today's Ellsworth AFB to be Rapid City Air Field, changed from Rapid City Army Air Field.


4. Contractor operated USAF air bases

During most of the 1950s, the USAF conducted some basic pilot training under contract at a number of WW II-vintage airfields designated as air bases. These were:

Bainbridge AB, Bainbridge, Ga., 1951-61;
Bartow AB, Bartow, Fla., 1951-61;
Graham AB, Marianna, Fla., 1952-61;
Hondo AB, Hondo, Tex., 1951-1958;
Malden AB, Malden, Mo., 1951-60;
Marana AB, Marana, Ariz., 1951-57;
Moore Field, Mission, Tex., Jan 1955. Renamed Moore AB at the end of 1955 and closed in 1961;
Spence AB, Moultrie, Ga., 1951-61;
Kinston Air Field, Kinston, N.C., 1951-53. Renamed Stallings AB in 1953 and closed in 1957.

In 1965, the Air Force began contractor-operated pilot screening training using T-41s at, among other places, Columbus-Lowndes Airport, Miss.; Del Rio International Airport, Tex.; Stinson Field, near San Antonio; and Hondo MAP.  The training was consolidated at Hondo MAP in 1973, where the 1st Flight Screening Squadron used the T-41 and later the Slingsby Aviation T-3A Firefly.  The T-3A was grounded in 1997 and on October 9, 1999, the Air Force announced that it would not return to service.  The flight screening program then continued using civilian facilities.


5. USAF forts and other interesting places

Fort MacArthur became an annex of Los Angeles AFS (later Los Angeles AFB) in 1982.  These installations also saw USAF service while designated as "fort":

Fort Francis E. Warren, Wyo. (renamed Francis E. Warren AFB, 1949)
Fort Slocum, N.Y. (renamed Slocum AFB, 1949)
Fort George Wright, Wash. (renamed George Wright AFB, 1949)
Fort Ethan Allen, Vt. (renamed Ethan Allen AFB).

Camp Beale and Camp Cooke were briefly USAF installations.  Camp Beale for 11 months in 1948 and 1949 before becoming Beale Bombing and Gunnery Range, later Beale AFB.  Camp Cooke was a USAF installation for three months in 1957 before becoming Cooke AFB, later Vandenberg AFB.

And, ADC Air Force radar stations were often located on former Army bases (usually Coast Artillery posts) and used the Army base names until the sites were redesignated Air Force stations. 

For example, Det. 1, 646th AC&WS--an early Cold War air defender--was assigned in 1948 to Camp Hero, N.Y., on Montauk Point at the eastern tip of Long Island. In 1951, it was replaced by the 773rd AC&WS, which was soon joined by an Army AAA unit. The USAF site was redesignated Montauk AFS in December 1953.  After the Army AAA unit left, the remainder of Camp Hero was absorbed by Montauk AFS, which closed in 1982.

There was an unusual USAF installation in the City of Waco, Texas.  In 1952 Flying Training Air Force moved from leased space in downtown Waco to leased buildings built for it by the Catholic Diocese of Austin on church-owned land on North 25th Street.  The headquarters occupied two large, H-shaped single-story buildings on the equivalent of two residential blocks in a neighborhood of single-family homes.

FTAF left in February 1956 and Headquarters Eighteenth Air Force took over the buildings in the following September.  Headquarters Twelfth Air Force replaced the inactivated Eighteenth Air Force in January 1958.

When Headquarters Twelfth Air Force moved to Bergstrom AFB in August 1968, the Waco facilities were turned over to the General Accounting Office which returned them to the landlord, the Catholic Diocese.  The buildings were razed and the area became a parking lot for a church across the street.

The Air Force was asked in 1952 to rename Sampson AFB as Taylor AFB, after two local brothers, 1Lt. Robert Taylor and 2Lt. Richard Taylor, shot down in WW II.  There was also a desire in the late 1950s to rename Dover AFB as Olds AFB and there may have been a plan in early 1950 to rename Spokane AFB to Bong AFB.   If this plan existed, it was dropped after the death of General Muir Fairchild in March 1950.  The base was renamed in his honor.

Web searches have turned up three places shown as Air Force bases in Alaska.  These are Kougarok AFB, Circle Hot Springs AFB and Yakutat AFB.   All appear on an Army Corps of Engineers site describing environmental cleanup projects at former military installations.  These probably were Air Force auxiliary fields and never Air Force bases.


6. Former USAF names of still-open Air Force bases

These still-open Air Force bases have had more than one name since 1948:

Abilene AFB, Tex. (renamed Dyess AFB)
Arnold AFB, Tenn. (ex-Arnold Engineering and Development Center, ex-Arnold AFS.  Redesignated Arnold AS, August 17, 1994; redesignated Arnold AFB, September 28, 1995)
Beale AFB, Calif. (Camp Beale, Beale Bombing and Gunnery Range)
Buckley AFB, Colo.  (ex-Buckley ANGB, redesignated October 1, 2000)
Cannon AFB, N.M. (ex-Clovis AFB)  
Clovis AFB, N.M. (renamed Cannon AFB)
Cooke AFB, Calif. (ex-Camp Cooke; renamed Vandenberg AFB)
Dyess AFB, Tex. (ex-Abilene AFB)
Edwards AFB, Calif. (ex-Muroc AFB)
Ellsworth AFB, S.D. (ex-Weaver AFB, Rapid City AFB)
Enid AFB, Okla. (renamed Vance AFB)
Fairchild AFB, Wash. (ex-Spokane AFB)
Fairfield-Suisun AFB, Calif. (renamed Travis AFB)
Falcon AFB, Colo. (ex-Falcon AFS; renamed Schriever AFB, 1998)
Francis E. Warren AFB, Wyo. (ex-Fort Francis E. Warren; often informally abbreviated as F.E. Warren AFB, although official source documents spell out Francis)
Great Falls AFB, Mont. (renamed Malmstrom AFB)
Hanscom Field, Laurence G. Hanscom Field, Laurence G. Hanscom AFB, Hanscom AFB, Bedford, Mass.
Las Vegas AFB, Nev. (renamed Nellis AFB)
Long Range Proving Ground AFB, Fla. (renamed Patrick AFB) Note 1
Los Angeles AFB, Calif. (Ex-Los Angeles AFS)
Malmstrom AFB, Mont. (ex-Great Falls AFB)
McConnell AFB, Kans. (ex-Wichita AFB)
Muroc AFB, Calif. (renamed Edwards AFB)
Nellis AFB, Nev. (ex-Las Vegas AFB)
Patrick AFB, Fla. (ex-Long Range Proving Ground Base) Note 1
Peterson AFB, Colo. (ex-Peterson Field. Renamed 1976)
Rapid City AFB, S.D. (ex-Weaver AFB, renamed Ellsworth AFB)
Schriever AFB, Colo. (ex-Falcon AFS, Falcon AFB)
Sedalia AFB, Mo. (renamed Whiteman AFB)
Spokane AFB, Wash. (renamed Fairchild AFB)
Travis AFB, Calif. (ex-Fairfield-Suisun AFB)
Vance AFB, Okla. (ex-Enid AFB)
Vandenberg AFB, Calif. (ex-Camp Cooke, Cooke AFB)
Weaver AFB, S.D. (renamed Rapid City AFB, Ellsworth AFB)
Whiteman AFB, Mo. (ex-Sedalia AFB)
Wichita AFB, Kans. (formerly Wichita MAP, renamed McConnell AFB)

Note 1 NAS Banana River became a joint-service facility and was redesignated Joint Long Range Proving Ground Base, October 1, 1949; it became a USAF facility and was redesignated Long Range Proving Ground Base on May 17, 1950, and Patrick AFB on August 1, 1950.


7. Overseas Air Force Bases

Air Force installations overseas exist through a variety of means, often resulting from negotiations that conclude with a treaty between the host country and the United States. In this context, USAF use of the term Air Force base (AFB) implies sovereignty and with most non-sovereign bases, even where long-term leases were involved, the term fell from use fairly quickly.

Sovereign Bases

Ramey AFB, Puerto Rico
Bellows AFB, Territory of Hawaii
Wheeler AFB, Territory of Hawaii
Hickam AFB, Territory of Hawaii
Dillingham AFB, Territory of Hawaii
Barking Sands AFB (later Bonham AFB), Territory of Hawaii
Johnston Island AFB (later Johnston Atoll AFB), Johnston Atoll
North Guam AFB (later Andersen AFB), Guam
Northwest Guam AFB, Guam
Harmon AFB, Guam
Amchitka AFB, Territory of Alaska
Marks AFB, Territory of Alaska
Davis AFB, Territory of Alaska
Elmendorf AFB, Territory of Alaska
Eielson AFB, Territory of Alaska
Galena AFB, Territory of Alaska
Big Delta AFB, Territory of Alaska
Ladd AFB, Territory of Alaska
Naknek AFB, Territory of Alaska
Nenana AFB, Territory of Alaska
Cape AFB, Territory of Alaska
Thornbrough AFB, Territory of Alaska
Point Spencer AFB, Territory of Alaska
Walseth AFB, Territory of Alaska
Shemya AFB, Territory of Alaska
Wake Island AFB, Wake Island
North Tinian AFB, Tinian
West Tinian AFB, Tinian
Isely AFB, Saipan (originally designated Isley AFB, continuing a common error that often saw Isely Field misspelled as Isley Field)

Former Sovereign Bases Later Under Lease

Clark AFB, Philippines (to Clark AB in 1957)
France AFB, Canal Zone (closed 1949)
Howard AFB, Canal Zone/Republic of Panama (unchanged until base closure in 1999)
Albrook AFB (later Albrook AFS), Canal Zone/Republic of Panama (unchanged until base closure in 1997)

Under the terms of the Panama Canal Treaty of 1977, Howard AFB and Albrook AFS were Defense Sites. Defense Sites were for the exclusive use of and under the complete control of the U.S. for the life of the treaty.

Lend Lease

Atkinsion AFB, British Guiana
Beane AFB, St. Lucia
Carlsen AFB, Trinidad
Coolidge AFB, Antigua
Vernam AFB, Jamaica
Waller AFB, Trinidad

The Caribbean bases all closed in 1949 with right of re-entry retained by the US. Agreements were subsequently reached with the United Kingdom and, later, local governments as these British colonies gained independence, for the establishment and maintenance of missile tracking facilities at some former lend-lease sites, including on some of these former Air Force bases. Antigua Air Station remains on a portion of the former Coolidge AFB.

Kindley AFB, Bermuda

Remained Kindley AFB until the base was transferred to the US Navy, July 1, 1970.   NAS Bermuda closed in 1995.

Ernest Harmon AFB, Newfoundland (closed December 1966)
McAndrew AFB, Argentia, Newfoundland (transferred to U.S. Navy, 1955.   Naval installation closed September 1994)
Pepperell AFB, St. John's, Newfoundland (closed August 1961)

Evidently the terms of the treaty in this context remained in effect after Newfoundland became part of Canada.

U.S. Military Occupation

Tulln AFB, near Vienna, in the Soviet Zone of occupied Austria
Rhein Main AFB, occupied Germany
Kaufbeuren AFB, occupied Germany
Furstenfeldbruck AFB, occupied Germany
Wiesbaden AFB, occupied Germany
Landsberg AFB, occupied Germany (There may have been others in Germany.)
Ashiya AFB, occupied Japan
Haneda AFB, occupied Japan
Johnson AFB, occupied Japan
Kadena AFB, occupied Japan
Misawa AFB, occupied Japan
Naha AFB, occupied Japan
Yokota AFB, occupied Japan (There may have been others in Japan.)
Kimpo AFB, occupied Korea (there may have been others in Korea)

On September 10, 1949, Air Force bases in occupied Germany and Austria were redesignated air bases. The Allied Military Occupation of Korea ended in August 1948 with the formation of the governments of the Republic of Korea and People's Democratic Republic of Korea.

Yokota AFB became Yokota AB on November 17, 1955. Kadena AFB became Kadena AB on November 1, 1949. Misawa AFB became Misawa AB on 12 November 1949.


8. Auxiliary Air Force bases

This designation was only used for certain installations that were part of the Eastern Test Range in the 1950s. Excellent and detailed histories of the range can be found at the Patrick AFB web page.

Cape Canaveral Auxiliary Air Force Base
Jupiter Aux. AFB, Jupiter, Fla.
Grand Bahama Aux. AFB, central southern coast of Grand Bahamas Isl., Bahamas, near Gold Rock Creek
Eleuthra Aux. AFB, central Eleuthra Island, Bahamas, near Governor's Harbour
San Salvador Aux. AFB, northeast coast of San Salvador Island, Bahamas, near Cockburntown
Mayaguana Aux. AFB, central south coast of Mayaguana Island at Abraham's Bay, Bahamas
Grand Turk Aux. AFB, southwest coast of Grand Turk Island, near Cockburn Town, Turks and Caicos Islands
Dominican Republic Aux AFB, northeast coast of Hispanola Island, near Sabena de la Mar, Dominican Republic
Mayaguez Aux. AFB, west coast of Puerto Rico, near Mayaguez
Antigua Aux. AFB, northeast shore of Antigua Island, near St. Johns; on part of the former Coolidge AFB, later and still open as Antigua AS
St. Lucia Aux. AFB, easternmost point of St. Lucia
Ascension Aux. AFB, Ascension Island


9. Key to abbreviations and acronyms

AAA  anti-aircraft artillery
AB  air base
ADC  Air/Aerospace Defense Command
AF Aux Fld  Air Force Auxiliary Field
AFB  Air Force base
AFS  Air Force station
AFRes  Air Force Reserve
AGS  Air Guard Station
ANGB  Air National Guard base
AP  airport
ARB  air reserve base
ARS  air reserve station
AS  air station
Aux. AFB  auxiliary Air Force Base
BMEWS  ballistic missile early warning system
BRAC  Defense Base Closure and Realignment Commission
CAA  Civil Aeronautics Administration
CGAS  Coast Guard air station
Cty  county
FG  fighter group
FIS  fighter-interceptor squadron
GSA  General Services Administration
IAP  international airport
MAP  municipal airport or military airport
MCAS  Marine Corps air station
NAF  naval air facility
SAC  Strategic Air Command
SAGE  semi-automatic ground environment (control system used to direct fighter-interceptors, BOMARCs and NIKEs)


Addendum

These base names appeared on earlier versions of this list but have been removed: Appalachicola AFB, Fla.; Clear Springs AFB, Tex.; Datelan AFB and Gila Bend AFB, Ariz., Reno AFB, Nev.; Roswell AFB, N.Mex., Plattsburg AFB, N.Y. and Savannah AFB, Ga.

Reno AFB, Nev.; Roswell AFB, N.Mex., Plattsburg AFB, N.Y. and Savannah AFB, Ga. were thought to be early names for Stead AFB, Walker AFB, Plattsburgh AFB and Chatham AFB but designation orders indicate that these names were never used.

Clear Springs AFB, New Braunfels, Tex.
Clear Springs Aux. Field #5 was redesignated Clear Springs AF Aux Field on January 13, 1948 by DAF GO 2. It was redesignated Clear Springs AFB by a typographical error in DAF GO 37, June 10, 1949, which, while calling it Clear Springs AFB, gave the mailing address as Clear Springs AF Aux Field.  DAF GO 42, June 23, 1949, corrected this. Mueller Air Force Bases shows it designated as an AFB some time before 1956 and again from 1964-67 (it was transferred to the Army on December 15, 1956 by DAF GO 73, December 14,
1956 and returned to the AF in 1964). The former may be due to the typo.  The latter contradicts DAF SO GA-55, June 11, 1964, in which the installation was reactivated on May 1, 1964 as Clear Springs AF Aux Field.

Datelan AFB, Ariz., and Gila Bend AFB, Ariz.
These bases were found in History of the Flying Division, Air Training Command (Randolph Field: Historical Section, Flying Division, Air Training Command) covering the four quarters of 1948 and part of 1949. Datelan and Gila Bend were carried as Air Force auxiliary fields in the April 1, 1948, USAF station list. But in these command histories, while there were many references to other Air Force auxiliary fields, both Datelan and Gila Bend were shown as Air Force bases.

Apalachicola AFB, as well as Lakeland AFB, Fla., Rocky Mt. AFB, N.C., Galveston AFB and Pampa AFB, Tex., and Burlington AFB, Vt. appear on installation vicinity/prevailing winds maps that were produced by either
the Army Corps of Engineers or the Air Force in the early 1950s.

Plattsburg AFB, N.Y.
A base history (History of the 380th Air Refueling Wing and of Plattsburgh Air Force Base, New York, (Plattsburgh AFB, September 30, 1994) produced in 1994 states that Plattsburg Barracks officially became
Plattsburg Air Force Base on February 1, 1955. According to the history, the base name did not conform to the spelling of the city name, Plattsburgh, until 1960. However, DAF GO 14 of February 10, 1955, redesignates Plattsburg Barracks to Plattsburgh AFB in inactive status effective February 1, 1955.


EMAIL JOE McCUSKER


BACK TO MAIN PAGE